About Me

My photo
I embarked on my tea journey when I studied abroad in China in 2008 and traveled around Taiwan that summer. I'm here to share my experiences and offer my own opinion, advice, and comments on tea.

Monday, September 8, 2008

Teaware Collection

This is my first post, so please bear with me here. I only started drinking a few months ago, and this blog is dedicated to sharing my experiences, and gathering insight from my journey towards tea nirvana. I guess it would've been appropriate to start with a tea review; however, I think it's important to introduce the equipment that makes the tea drinking experience enjoyable. Because I am so far from home, I could only bear to bring a small portion of my tea ware collection.

1. The Yixing Teapot
I inherited this tea from my grandmother in Taiwan, who used to drink more day "back in the day." Keeping with the teapot's heritage, I usually use this with Taiwan Oolongs. It's a bit small, about 75 - 100ml. I don't know exactly because I can't measure its volume with the resources I have. It has a nice coating of patina that gives the teapot a lot of character.


2. Lin's Ceramic Studio Purion Teapot

I picked up this piece from Yingge, Taipei which is a mecca for various ceramic goods. But what exactly is Purion? Well, the pamphlet that came with the teapot explained it as "a mixture of natural mineral ore and pottery clay." The pamphlet recommends that the teapot is better for heavy oolongs that have been charcoal fired. Appropriately, I use this teapot specifically for Wuyi Yencha. This little fella here is roughly 125 ml.

3. Faircup and Teacups:
I feel that it's necessary to feature the kind of faircup and teacup I use, because I feel that these secondary tools of the tea-drinking process can heighten the experience. I usually use a glass faircup at home so I can expect the tea liquor more carefully, but this particular one just happened to be smaller, which makes it more convenient The teacups are composed of yixing clay on the outside with a glazed porcelain lining

4. My Tea Collection:
Why, all these teapots and faircups and teacups would be useless without actual tea leaves, right? Well this is only the small subset of tea that I decided to bring to college with me. There are Taiwanese oolongs, Wuyi Yencha, White teas, and green teas. Over the course of the next few months I'll be reviewing all these teas, hopefully providing knowledge to reviews while receiving it through feedback. I look forward to being an active participant of the tea community, and I hope that readers will provide valuable feedback so I can continuously improve

2 comments:

Brent said...

I can't wait to see this blog grow. :)

Brent

Anonymous said...

hi